AJ Morrisroe & Sons was founded by Brian Morrisroe in 1983 to meet with a growing demand for reliable sub-contractors specialising in groundworks and reinforced concrete frame construction.
The Morrisroe Group has since grown into a multi-faceted business, incorporating the groundwork, civil engineering and structures contractor, temporary & permanent works design company, PT design and installation company, fit out and joinery contractor, joinery manufacturer.
Another key part of the group is the Morrisroe plant hire division which is operated and based in Ampthill, Bedford and provides plant and equipment to A J Morrisroe & Sons sites across Greater London.
We were introduced to FORS in 2014 by a client who required Bronze accreditation as part of their contractual requirements. This fell right in place with the direction that we saw the company heading with regards to safety and environmental issues.
Since obtaining Bronze accreditation in 2014 we have continually looked at improving, culminating in us obtaining Gold accreditation in 2017.
Not only has FORS accreditation helped Morrisroe to stand out from other companies within out sector but it has more importantly helped us continually improve in areas such as road safety and the environmental impacts surrounding the running of a fleet of vehicles.
Head of HSEQ Hakim Nazerali said,
“The health and safety of our workers and the public, and care for the environment in which we live and work are our number one priority. The continual development of our drivers and improvement of equipment to eliminate any harm to people and the environment is something we are proud to embrace.”
We have noted significant benefits from FORS e-learning in that this enabled us to assist with the educational development of our managers and fleet drivers. The introduction of camera kits, warnings, silent kits, cornerscan kits etc. has also provided extra visibility to our drivers, not to mention the peace of mind that it has provided the drivers and ourselves.
|MPL||Incidents per 100,000 Kms||Number of PCNs|
*Although we saw an increase in fuel consumption from 2016 to 2017 this was found to be attributable to the increase in projects within heavily congested areas in London. With this in mind we since retired one of our older vehicles and replaced it with higher rated Euro emissions standards in order to minimise our environmental impact.
- Morrisroe run a comprehensive health and fitness review scheme for our fleet drivers which includes safety critical workers assessments for all drivers, regular eye tests as well as a comprehensive driver’s fitness declaration.
- In 2018 Morrisroe commenced rolling out our Health & Wellbeing strategy across the business which includes raising awareness on issues such as stress, mental health and the general wellbeing of all our staff.
- We have a people and communities’ strategy as part of a sustainable approach to employment. Part of the strategy encourages and promotes work for disadvantaged groups (e.g. NEETs, long term unemployed) and ex armed forces.
- Various measures are taken to reduce noise pollution which includes: the implementation of environmental policies on sites such as run silent policies, the active monitoring of noise levels on sites and fleet driver’s awareness training. In addition to these measures we also actively investigate different ways of improving environmentally across the business I.e. tyre options available for our current fleet which would provide improved noise reduction, the replacement of standard alarms fitted to plant and vehicles with white noise alarms (where these are not fitted as standard).
- Although research into modal shift and alternative vehicles has indicated that at present this is not a viable option for Morrisroe, we are continually looking at reducing our environmental impacts through fleet driver’s awareness training, various environmental policies implemented on sites.
In 2018 we retired one of the older vehicles in the fleet and replaced it with higher rated Euro emissions standards vehicle.
After having achieved FORS Gold Accreditation, the next focus for us as a business is to maintain this and to continually strive to improve on our performance indicators for the coming year.
Obtaining FORS Gold accreditation has demonstrated to all employees and clients our commitment in the professional development of our employees, the safety of vulnerable road users and environmental impacts of our operations.