Richard Lester derives from a family of specialist haulage contractors dating back to the 1930’s. In those early days we ran a selection of vehicles including bulk tippers, cement mixers and a wide range of plant machinery. We are very proud to have been a major contributor in creating Carsington Reservoir.
Richard Lester Transport is now the 4th generation and concentrates its business on the bespoke transporting of plant machinery and over-sized freight for businesses through-out the UK on specialist trucks and lorry loaders. Operating out of Wirksworth, a small quarrying town in the heart of Derbyshire with a fleet of 20+ trucks we have rapidly grown to be one of the major specialist transport companies in the area offering an abnormal loads lifting and transporting service.
Our wide range of haulage services are aimed at the commercial and agricultural markets as well as increasingly over the last few years to the utilities, construction and rail industry sectors. We have working contracts with the likes of Utility Power Systems, Rotrex Winches, Ashtead Plant and many more industry leading organisations.
Jamie Barton, Transport & Compliance Manager is now assisted by Stephen Wood Appointed person and assistant Compliance Assistant, are continually following the FORS standards and using FORS progressive online training. We feel that this is helping the company move forward and also meet high industry standards. A lot of focus is looking towards vulnerable road users, security and terrorism and drivers road safety.
We are finding that our clients are becoming more focused on safety and safety awareness within the industry and adapting the FORS standard across the board. The scheme is benefiting us in achieve a wider customer base and by focusing on having a positive impact on the environment. As per the FORS standard we are always looking for ways to improve the industry standards and competency of our employees regarding road safety and venerable road users.
‘since we became FORS compliant it has made a great impact on the way we work and more aware of our impact towards the environment and awareness of others affected by our actions.’ – Richard Lester (Managing Director)
Maintaining the FORS standards helps and steers us towards keeping a tighter control on our internal systems and procedures and maintaining the high standard that we have always worked towards.
We see the benefits of FORS, with our client base and workload increasing daily which is leading to further expansion of the company. We have upgraded our fleet with 3 replacement Euro 6 vehicles including 1 New Scania in 2019, the specifications meeting environmental standards making an impact on lowering our footprint on the environment.
With Richard Lester Transport’s current growth rate it is essential that accreditations such as FORS are achieved and carried out to the highest standard. This is why we have improved the systems we have in place with drivers working towards completing 100% of the FORS online driver training, attending the safe urban driving course and making sure all our drivers are kept up to date with current changes in legislation and regulations through toolbox talks. We have seen significant improvements in road safety and own fault fleet claims. All this progression has been made possible through the FORS scheme.
‘We have seen significant improvements in road safety and own fault fleet claims. All this progression has been made possible through the FORS scheme.’ – Jamie Barton (Transport Manager)
- Performance data – Use data provided for FORS requirements S2 and G2. See example below for table (data can be presented in different table format if you prefer)
|MPG||Incidents per 100,000 Kms||Number of PCNs|
|Percentage improvement||+1.8% *||0% *||-33% *|
*Annual improvement in MPG and Incidents per 100,000 Kms
- Driver health and fitness review – All our employees carry out safety critical medicals, alcohol, drug testing, eye sight checks and self-assessment as part of company checks before being offered a contract of employment. As part of our recruitment policy it is signed for that all employees will inform the company of any medical problems/changes that would affect their ability to carry out duties. All employees undergo regular health self-assessments to help support our ongoing recruitment policy.
- Strategy for recruiting drivers – Richard Lester Transport Ltd have a high retention rate for staff, we have a very in depth interview process. As a specialist lifting and transport company we cannot use agencies or inexperienced drivers. All drivers who complete the interview process and receive a contract of employment must then complete all FORS online driver training and attend the safe urban driving course.
- Noise Assessment – The majority of our work is completed during daylight hours. When our work does take us out of hours we have systems in place to manage our noise. Prior to our drivers immobilizing any audible warning devices or alarms we make sure there is a banksman in place to oversee any movement or work on site. All our drivers have attended toolbox talks with regards to noise pollution.
- Modal shift and alternative vehicles – In the current environmental climate Richard Lester Transport is doing everything it can to support the lowering of emissions and reduce our carbon footprint. Currently we are investing in new trucks with the new euro 6 engines, driver training courses and keeping engine idling to a minimum.
In 2019 Richard Lester Transport Ltd will be relocating to its new acquired operating centre in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. This new centre will enable our company to expand, offering further diversity to our expanding customer base and increasing our fleet size. The access route to site will also help use reduce our environmental impact on our existing surroundings and gives us better transport links to major routes. All this will be carried out in association with the FORS standard helping us maintain the high standards that we work to.
This case study has been written with the aspirations of maintaining FORS gold. FORS have helped us raise our standards with their online tools and online training courses so we would like to help make other hauliers and industries see the benefit of becoming FORS accredited. Achieving gold accreditation will demonstrate our commitment to continually improve and maintain a skilled workforce, help make roads safer and promote the health, safety and well-being of all staff and the public.
*Please note: All published FORS Gold case studies have been submitted by the accredited company named above and transcribed verbatim