Sidhu Haulage Ltd is owned and operated by Gurmit Sidhu, a family run company based in Hayes. They are currently sub-contracted to work exclusively for Tarmac and their previous company standings for the past 19 years, transport aggregate materials around the south of England from their base depot at Harper lane. The company operates 4 x 32 tonne Volvo FM rigids and 1 x Scania P rigid.
Gurmit is continuously adopting the FORS standard for the day to day running of the business. Since joining the scheme, their business has noticed considerable improvements with fuel efficiency, safety record and driver training.
The company first heard of FORS when they initially became a sub-contractor for Tarmac, where they were required to meet become FORS Bronze accredited. They have had Silver and Gold for nearly 4 years.
Sidhu Haulage Ltd passed their FORS Bronze audit first time. This was challenging to Gurmit, but he quickly saw the benefits it brought to the company.
After gaining Bronze, the company confirmed that FORS was an invaluable resource and helping them move forward as a business with noticeable improvements. Silver accreditation was gained first time, with Gold coming swiftly afterwards.
“The FORS E-Learning resources have been a great help, with identifying the safe standard we need to operate to, especially with training new drivers into the industry” – Gurmit Sidhu (Owner of Sidhu Haulage Ltd)
Sidhu Haulage Ltd found the online tools especially useful. Utilising the driver training programme, classroom based and E-Learning, they found it reduced accident rates by 100% over the past 24 months by increasing the awareness of road safety and the related road risks.
“Our FORS membership has been invaluable to our company and has helped continued commitment to sharing the roads as well as improvements to driver and vehicle safety” – Gurmit Sidhu (Owner of Sidhu Haulage Ltd)
Since becoming gaining and holding Gold accredited, Sidhu Haulage Ltd have made many improvements to the business:
|Incidents per 100,000 Kms||
|Number of PCNs||Proportion of fleet that uses alternative fuels|
- Performance data – Significant improvements to the company’s fuel and emissions, as well as continuing to keep PCNs and Incidents down to zero. The company saw an increase of efficiency over the previous 12 months of 0.94%.
- Driver health and fitness review – All staff drivers are now required to complete an annual health declaration as well as report any health complications that may affect their driving. The company now has a fitness and wellbeing policy, which highlights the importance of staying active and promoting a healthy lifestyle with exercise tips.
- Recruitment of drivers – When recruitment is required, the company has a robust policy and procedure in place that demonstrates equal opportunities, a thorough induction process and right to work checks.
- Noise assessment – The company carries out their own in-house noise assessment using FORS recommended applications, of which the results reviewed and acted on where needed.
- Modal shift and alternative vehicles – The company attends all the major commercial motor vehicle shows to ensure they keep up to date with the latest technology, as well sign up for demonstrator vehicles where they can and provide constructive feedback. Sidhu Haulage Ltd will always consider alternative fuels and ULEZ type vehicles, with annual reviews carried out by the owner and transport manager.
- Routing and scheduling – The company has introduced new routing and scheduling polies and procedures, to enable safer roads around high risk areas as well as complaints. This has contributed to the number of complaints and incidents being recorded to zero.
Sidhu Haulage Ltd intends to continue in investing in the latest technology and safety equipment. Replacing older vehicles when the time comes to the newest Euro standard as well keeping up to date with industry initiatives to help drive down fuel consumption and emissions. Low entry and high visibility vehicles will be continually researched, with the intention of upgrading the current fleet. The company is hoping to extend the fleet by a walking floor 44 tonne artic within the next 2 months.
The company actively promotes FORS through the use of their logos on official letterheads as well as emails. They have also a very active social media account, which is updated periodically with pictures of the fleet at high profile locations and mentioning the FORS brand.
Continuing to operate at the highest standard with Gold will show that the company is dedicated to continual improvements, across the environment, road safety and driver training as supporting change in the haulage community.
Sidhu Haulage Ltd can be followed on Instagram with the following details: @sidhuhaulageltd.
*Please note: All published FORS Gold case studies have been submitted by the accredited company named above and transcribed verbatim